Sunday, October 10, 2010

I'm an Adult...I Think

We've all had moments when we realize we're not kids anymore. I had a moment like that this past week. The innocence and freedom of childhood is no longer with us, and it can be hard to accept that. Last Sunday, I found out that two guys that I graduated with were both killed in separate car accidents over the weekend. The crashes happened within 24 hours of each other. I was in shock. Both of them were in my math class senior year. I didn't know them personally, but it's hard when someone that young passes. It feels like it's not supposed to happen that way.

This next paragraph might get confusing, but I want to respect everyone's privacy and not mention the guys' names. After I found out the news, I called my sister's boyfriend to see if he knew yet. He had been friends with one of the guys. Literally the first thing out of his mouth when I called him was this: I know that he's in a better place, because I was standing next to him when he accepted Christ. Amen to that! That brought such comfort to me. Amidst the chaos, I found some peace. He's home now.

These events made me have a "I'm not a kid anymore moment." But then there are those times when I wish I was still a kid. The decisions I have to make now are very hard. I've felt so weak and vulnerable. I've had moments where I've just cried out to God. I don't know what to do! I'm only 18! I can't handle this! Then I hear God's voice: Yes, you can. You're strong enough. If you weren't ready, I wouldn't have given it to you. It's going to be okay.

This time in my life has been crazy. I'm so grateful to have God as my rock.

No comments:

Post a Comment