In my History and Faith class we're studying the Old Testament. We just finished covering the Israelites getting out of Egypt and going to the Promised Land. Now, one thing I've noticed about these stories about the Israelites (Exodus, Leviticus, Deuteronomy, Joshua, etc.) is that there is a common theme. The Israelites complain. A lot. Not a verse goes by without them grumbling about not having any water or food or why did we come all the way out here just to wander the desert and God has forgotten about us. God didn't forget about them. They forgot about God. Whenever they faced hardship, the Israelites instantly doubted. The whole time I was reading this, I was thinking, "Ok. Why are they having such a hard time with this? God brought them out of Egypt! He cut an ocean in half for them! He can do anything! They've seen countless miracles, and yet they still doubt. Why aren't they able to trust Him?"
Then, I realized something. The Israelites doubted because they're human. And I'm no better. It doesn't matter how many times God shows Himself in our lives. We're human. We mess up. It's hard to give everything to God and trust that things will work out. We think that we can do it ourselves and turn from God. But no matter how many times we fall, God picks us back up. He was with the Israelites through it all, and He's with me through it all. God has overcome the world. There's nothing in my life that He hasn't seen or can't handle. He's been there; He gets it. His love covers all, and that's more than I could ask for.
No comments:
Post a Comment