Wednesday, September 26, 2012

Knees and Noses

I've been kind of MIA for the past two weeks. School is definitely in full swing now, which is part of my absence here. Reading The Taming of the Shrew takes time, my friends. At the moment, I'm recovering from a rather nasty sinus infection. I haven't had any energy the past few days. Went through an entire box of tissues Saturday night. I consider that a bit of an achievement. Anyway, after going to urgent care and getting antibiotics, I'm starting to mend.

That takes care of the "Noses" section. Now on to "Knees." There is nothing more frustrating for a runner than when something hinders you from running. I've been having pain in my left knee for about 3 weeks now. It made running extremely uncomfortable, especially when I ran on pavement. It hurt to go up and down stairs, walk up hills, and sitting for long periods of time made it hurt when I stood up. After biking for a few days and not being able to run in our last race, I went to the doctor to have it looked at. I was thinking that it wasn't going to be anything too bad, but the fear that I would be out for the rest of the season was in the back of my mind. I was also nervous because I'd never been to the orthopedic place I went to. Being at school, I wasn't able to go back home to see my normal doctor.

The doctor I saw couldn't have been better. Specializing in sports medicine, he knew almost immediately what was going on with my knee. I have what is known as Runner's Knee. Basically, the muscles and tendons in my knee are moving around a lot and in directions that they don't want to move in. It feels like arthritis. But the good news is, I can still run! I can't do as much mileage as the rest of the team right now, but I have a bunch of stretches and exercises to help strengthen my knee and good things of that nature. I got to run today and I didn't have any pain! It felt strange, but I'll take that over pain any day. I realize this isn't the most exciting post in the world but I just wanted to give you an update on things. See ya later dude! (Note:if you can guess what movie that quote is from, you are wise indeed)

2 comments:

  1. Findign Nemo :) I hope your knee continues to feel better; I'll be praying. I miss seeing you and your sisters, but I hope school is going well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh Kathleen, I am a week behind reading this but you just made me smile at 3am in the morning admist my crazy chaos. My turn to bog now. :) Love ya!

    ReplyDelete