Friday, July 31, 2009

A Doll's House

I'm in the process of reading the play A Doll's House for one of my summer reading projects(gotta love those!). For a while I couldn't figure out what the title had to do with the play because, well, the plot has nothing to do with a doll house. So this morning when I was writing a journal of Act 2 it came to me. For those of you that haven't read this play, let me give you a brief explanantion. It's about this family in the 40s. The husband, Torvald, just got a promotion at his job. All his wife, Nora cares about is money and gaining material things. Since Torvald got a promotion he wants to fire one of the workers under him. This man, Krogstad, starts blackmailing Nora so she will help him not get fired. So, Nora's dreams of gaining a richer life start to fade. Have you figured out the reason for the title? A doll house is a fake reality. You can pretend to have the perfect life in it, but it's not your real life. Nora was living in a doll house, so to speak. This got me thinking. People sometimes live in a fake reality. They think their lives are going a certain way, but really it's the complete opposite. Before I went to Ecuador, I think I was living in my own doll house. It was my perfect little world. But after going on that trip and experiencing the things that I did, that doll house is destroyed, and that's a good thing. It changed my perception of everything. I'm not as judgmental towards people. I can't stand how materialistic our society is. There is a world outside my own. It's a shame that some people never realize that.

No comments:

Post a Comment