Last week I spent 8 days in Quito, Ecuador. When I came back, culture shock can't even begin to describe how strange everything seemed. First off, in Ecuador, traffic is crazy. Let me out it this way: stoplights are optional. Turn signals are optional. Stop signs are optional. Beeping is greatly accepted and two lanes roads can be one lane roads if needed. So yesterday morning when I was driving to the driving range I was wondering why none of that was going on. As I got closer to my destination, I suddenly became angry. I thought, Why am I doing this? I just got back from Ecuador yesterday, and I'm already doing things I did before I left! Does it happen this fast? Going back to normal? I don't want things to go back to normal! Two days ago I was playing soccer with street kids and giving life to a community with 60% unemployment. Now I'm driving to a golf course that I can't even afford to play at! Have I forgotten everything I've done? And then I pulled into the parking lot of the golf course. It was packed. There was a huge tournament going on. I couldn't even get in. It was like God's way of saying, "You haven't forgotten. This is the new normal. Now go home and rest." I was still really tired from the 10 hours of traveling the day before. Driving home, I felt a sense of completness. Even though things are going to go back to normal eventually, it won't be all the way normal. I have all these memories and experiences that have changed me as a person. I have a whole new attitude towards life. I don't care how cliche that sounds because it's true. So I hope you know what your normal is. Will it change people when they see you? Only you know that answer.
Kathleen
I know God was working in you on this trip - I saw it! What a privilege to witness! Love you.
ReplyDeleteAunt Michelle