I've been noticing more and more how dependent people my age are on technology. I do realize that certain technology has become a necessity in our society- like the computer. I use one every day at work, and there was even a certain type of computer I was required to get for Kent State. Obviously, I wouldn't be able to write my blogs without out one either. However, in my opinion, the one piece of technology we use the most is a cell phone. My dad said once that people my age just don't know how to communicate. Well, dad, you are 100 percent right. Almost all of my communication with my friends now is done through texting, and quite frankly, I can't stand it. I would much rather have someone call me, or better yet, talk to them in person, face to face. Can you really express what you're feeling in 160 characters? No, no you can't. You can't tell what someone's reaction is through a screen. And the phone was originally invented so you could call people, not type "k c u l8r." I felt ridiculous just typing that out. When you're actually talking to someone, you have a connection. You see all of their movements and expressions. The slightest change in demeanor can mean so many different things. You see the sparkle, or dullness in their eyes. If they're sad, you'll know. Being able to observe these things is what keeps the connection between people going. You get to know them. You read them. Analyze. Sometimes it gets to the point where you know what they're feeling the minute you see them. There's something there that you can never get through texting. You can't have a meaningful conversation through a phone. It's a piece of plastic with wires and buttons. And mine likes turn off suddenly without explanation. In fact, it will sometimes turn off when I'm in the middle of typing a text. I think it's a sign.
Oh, and for all you guys out there, never, never, ever ask a girl out via a text. It doesn't work.
No comments:
Post a Comment