Thursday, July 1, 2010

Songs and Symbols

I talk about music quite a few times on my blog, so I decided to tell you guys about some of my favorite songs and the artists that wrote them. I hope I can educate you a little bit on my tastes in music. So here they are, in no particular order.

1. The Rocket Summer- Hills and Valleys

As you can probably tell, I'm a big fan of The Rocket Summer. His music is very piano based, and his talent on the keys really shines on this track. He has a very unique voice that can hit notes in a very wide range. This is one of those songs that just makes you feel good. It's fun to sing along to, especially on the harmonies. If you're going on a road trip, you definitely should blast this through the speakers with the windows down.

2. Switchfoot- Faust, Midas, and Myself

If there was a song that was a message to my generation, this is it. Jon Foreman is a master at capturing you with his words. This song talks about how life isn't about material things and gaining wealth. We need to live our lives in a meaningful way. My favorite line from it is, "A heart that's made of gold can't really beat at all." That pretty much sums it up.

3. Jon Foreman- The House of God Forever

I like to listen to this song before I go to sleep. Jon Foreman basically took Pslams 23 and set it to music. I talked about this song in one of my earlier posts. It's just such a wonderful reminder of how much God loves us. I find it very comforting and calming.

4. NeedtoBreathe- The Heat

I'm not exactly sure how to describe NeedtoBreathe's sound. They're kind of blues/southern rock/ folk. Whatever it is, it's good. Really good. Bear Rineheart has a voice that is just filled with soul and passion. This song is just beautiful.

5. Bradley Hathaway- Look Up

Bradely Hathaway is a poet and a songwriter. He doesn't have the best voice in the world (think Bob Dylan) but his lyrics are amazing. He calls his songs poems that are meant to be sung instead of spoken. As a poet myself, you can see why I like his music. He even references Henry David Thoreau in this song. "He said we're all living lives of quiet desperation." Not all of you may know who that is, but a literary geek like me got excited when I heard that part.

So that is my two cents in the music world. I hope I have enlightened you with my musical ways!

No comments:

Post a Comment