I am a huge fan of C.S. Lewis. God gave that man an incredible gift of insight and writing ability. I have a book that has certain passages from his books and I read one the other day that really struck a chord with me. It was so simple and profound.
"Christ says Give me All. I don't want so much of your time and so much of your money and so much of your work: I want You. I have not come to torment your natural self, but to kill it. No half-measures are any good. I don't want to cut off a branch here and a branch there, I want to have the whole tree down. I don't want to drill the tooth, or crown it, or stop it, but to have it out. Hand over the whole natural self, all the desires which you think innocent as well as the ones you think wicked-the whole outfit. I will give you a new self instead. In fact, I will give you Myself: my own shall become yours."
Following Christ is not something you do halfway. It is everything. It's gathering all of your desires, dreams, mistakes, regrets, actions, thoughts, all of it, and standing before Jesus and saying, "Here, you take them."
It's simple and hard at the same time. I don't know everything that God has planned for me, but I'm putting my trust in the fact that he's not going to give me anything I can't handle. I am in his hands and that's all I need.
No comments:
Post a Comment